Oh. Man! This is one of my favorite meals. It makes me want to be a food hoarder. (Aren't I already..?) And I think you'll feel the same! Its vegan (because of the oil), not strictly plant based but I'm just not ready to make it without the oil yet...
Serves: You (and whoever you're kind enough to let eat some)
- 2 cups basil (or two packages)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup pistachios*
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2-3/4 cups olive oil depending on the texture you want/like*
- Salt to taste
- 1 Package of noodles
- Toppings of your choice, but I use:
- diced artichoke hearts
- quartered grape/cherry tomatoes
- sliced black olives
- sliced sun-dried tomatoes
Make it a meal:
In a food processor add the basil, pistachios and lemon juice. Start to pulse then pour in the olive oil while it's processing until it gets to the consistency you want - it should be on the smoother side, but if you like it thick, that's cool too!
Stop processing, add some salt, give it a whirl and see if its good. At this point you can add more salt and lemon, if you think it calls for it.
Add the pesto to the noodles, mix well then proceed in salad-bar-like fashion with the toppings. Enjoy!
* Its really best if you peal the pistachio's yourself, the pre-pealed ones have a burnt tasted to them. If
you don't care about, by all means save the time and effort.
* Make sure it's a decent quality - the cheap stuff is really bitter and an insult to the above ingredients.
* I'm lazy and boil the broccoli with the noodles for the last 6-7 mins of cook time.*If you don’t eat all the pesto, you can portion it into an ice cube tray for easy freezing!